Ways to stay HEALTHY when you work at a desk
What is today’s world without computers and the internet?
But, have we ever given a thought to how this is harming us physically, and mentally?
Working desk job can be too frustrating in itself! Not only that, long term can exposure to the computer screen because of a variety of health-related problems. It can cause various complications like backache, carpal tunnel syndrome, vision problems (computer vision syndrome, near-sightedness, blurred vision, and headaches), obesity, sleep deprivation to name just a few. It may also increase your level of anxiety, mood swings, negativity, and in some cases chronic depression.
To most of us working 9 to 5 desk jobs, we have no other option than spending 8 or more long hours in front of the computer screen. But, “Every problem has a solution”, doesn’t it?
So, let’s look into the solutions now!!!
- Electronic gadgets like computers, mobile phones, tablets- all emit blue light. This blue light is very similar to ultraviolet rays, but our eyes can’t block it. Due to its short wavelength, it is easily scattered which in turn causes digital eye strain. To avoid this, place your monitor at least 20 to 30 inches away from you. Keep the brightness of the background lighting of your room or office more than the brightness of your screen. This will strain your eyes less. Activate the night light of your screen that works as a blue light filter.
- Consume food, food supplements and nutrients that are healthy for your eyes. Food containing antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin are especially beneficial for your eyes. These antioxidants are present in egg yolks, leafy vegetables like spinach, etc.
- Food containing vitamin A, zinc, vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids are particularly useful for your eyes. These are present in veggies such a bell peppers, carrots, legumes, nuts (almonds, walnuts, and pistachios), etc.
- If you are facing trouble to sleep, you may be gradually heading to sleep disturbances. Using electronics before bed results in more alertness at night. Stop using any electronic devices at least 30 minutes before going to sleep. This will help you fall asleep faster!
- Invest in a good quality chair! You need to take care of your spine. A chair specially made for office work will surely reduce your backaches, neck pains, and of course, add a lot to your comfort!
- Get some exercise done! Sitting long hours in front of your computer will make you gain a lot of weight. Not only that, your appetite may be reduced due to very low or no physical work. It may also make you lethargic. You need to avoid that at any cost! Go for a walk, take sufficient coffee breaks, use the stairs, cycle to work, and of course, make time for the gym.
- Drink a lot of water! If you are sitting in an air-conditioned room, you may not get thirsty; but that doesn’t mean you can’t get dehydrated. Even if you have low physical activity, drink at least 3 liters of water every day.
- If your work allows you, adjust your routine by dividing the work on an hourly basis. For example, if you are working for an hour in front of the computer, for the next hour you can work for something that does not involve any gadget. Take breaks and walk and talk to your colleagues (or even take a stroll with them!)
- It is very easy to just open your food ordering app and order a pizza for your lunch, but by now you must have understood that this is not the right choice! Having a cheat day once in a while is not that big of a problem, but if this becomes a habit, it will cause you a lot of trouble. Bring home-made healthy food to your office, you’ll not only save yourself from health issues, but you will also save some money!
- If your company provides you with the facility of outdoor gaming, definitely to take part. You will be getting relief from mental stress along with some physical workout session. You may also wake up the awesome player within you that has been long lost in your college days!
- Socialize with your colleagues. This will help you get rid of boredom at work, and who knows you may also make some amazing friends! You will also get to know your work better and will boost your confidence.
- Organize your work desk and declutter it as much as possible. This will help you especially if you are a clean freak! A disorganized desk may add to your stress and irritability and one look at it may ruin your entire day.
- Don’t carry your work anywhere else other than your workplace. Add some entertainment to your daily routine that will boost your energy even at the end of a tiresome day.
Maintain a work-life balance. Don’t be too much preoccupied with work. Hang out with friends, give time to yourself, soothe your brain, eat healthily, visit the gym, do some exercise and so much more! Maintaining good social relations and mend you both physically and mentally. It will increase your motivation and confidence and contribute to your overall growth.
#healthcare #cancer #worklifebalance deskjobs#eyeproblems #exercise #declutter #games #office #supplements #gadgets #computer #healthyfood #diet #makeinindia #vocalforlocal